Saturday 26 January 2019

Recovery day


Yesterday was the hot day to end all hot days for this summer.

With the temperature set to top 40C I set my day up around the increasing temperature stages.

This means staying inside when the temperature passes 35C.

After that I spent my day sitting, reading or tapping away at the laptop with the fan keeping me cool.

The public had been warned about the possibility of rolling power outages because maintenance work was being carried out on generators in the Latrobe Valley and this meant a shortfall in the availability of power.  Perfect timing….

And so it came as no real surprise, when I was resting on the bed and reading, that the fan stopped and the lights on the digital clocks went out.   

I put my book down, closed my eyes and slept for a couple of hours.

Ten thousand homes and businesses were affected in a long strip, extending for many kilometres. It happened during the lunch hour and cafes could not make coffee, prepare food and the refrigeration units were not running, plus there was no air-conditioning.

There were a lot of unhappy people, and many of the cafes simply closed shop for the rest of the day.

The power was off for a couple of hours and when I woke from my sleep the digital clocks were flashing and the room was very warm.

Today was recovery day.

These very hot days totally sap my energy and today was spent doing as little as possible.






Bathurst Gardens       circa November 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment