Saturday 9 February 2019

Groundhog day and other mysteries

From time to time when I read blog posts and comments I feel as though I might live in another planet far out in the Universe.

Much is said about Groundhog Day and the movie of the same name, made in 1993.  How come I didn’t ever get to see this movie?  What was it about? When I look at the top 25 movies of 1993 and there are only a handful which I remember and the only film I recall seeing is Sleepless in Seattle.

And the background history to Groundhog Day?

It’s fascinating. And not more than a little weird. Apparently, this tradition goes back in time to Candlemas Day and the blessing and distribution of candles.  On this day, if the weather was sunny then the superstition was people could expect a protracted hard winter; if the sky was cloudy then warm weather would soon arrive.

Early German settlers arriving in Pennsylvania brought this tradition with them but somehow it managed to gain a new twist and this is where the groundhog came into the mix.  It all started in 1887 Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania when a newspaper promoted the idea.

Since then it has become quite a tourist attraction in Punxsutawney and these days festivities attract thousands of people.  I’d like to think no groundhogs are harmed in connection with all this hoop-la.

Will I be watching the movie?  I don’t think so.



Ground hog......

2 comments:

  1. As with most science fiction and fantasy, Groundhog Day is of course, not actually about its premise, the endless repetition of groundhog day. It is about a man who needs to get his priorities in order. It's a pretty good flick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Science fiction and fantasy. I wasn't so wide of the mark at all when I wrote that 'I feel as though I might live in another planet far out in the Universe'.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete