Tuesday 5 February 2019

Chokos




The choko bush on our back fence appeared a few years ago, most likely courtesy a passing bird. It settled in and being the hardy plant it is, hasn’t looked back. Some years the fruit has been more abundant than others, no doubt helped by rain at the right time.

This year the bush was covered in flowers; small, white and bell-shaped, with a tinge of pink inside the bell. The time arrived when the fruit started to set and some of the tiny flowers withered away.  Only so much energy in the plant and the fruit set gets the larger portion.

I investigated this fruit (or is it a vegetable?) and pondered over the idea of maybe cutting one and seeing how it looks inside. Chokos are apparently related to marrows. 

Marrows! Yerrk!

The plant hasn’t been watered enough this year, maybe the fruit won’t be at its best.

Wait a while.  A further report might appear on the blog.


5 comments:

  1. Still waiting for that report with bated breath...in June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has more appeared since this post? Thanks for your visit to my blog. I'm happily typing from a lap top tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Alphie. Where can I find you now. Please let me know:
    jnoragon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to look up for the meaning of Choko and I did not find it. I also looked up for Marrow and the dictionary gave me the real meaning ie the stuff inside our bones.
    Anyhow, the flowers look good and the tree provides a nice shade. I would be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a 'Choko'; did you test its edibility? I do see that we haven't heard from you since Tuesday 5th !!!

    ReplyDelete