Wednesday 6 February 2019

Doldrums


The Doldrums, as in the ocean area, are found close to the equator in both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. These are low pressure areas where the prevailing winds are sometimes virtually non-existent; in the days of sail, many vessels were becalmed, time was lost and trade disrupted.

In these times there is much talk about climate change and how and what is causing it; there are some with the view that our climate problems are simply current variabilities in the flow and direction of the trade winds.

If this is so, it would go a long way to explaining how the Doldrums have moved away from the oceans in equatorial areas and drifted far south in the atmosphere, drifted in the windows of the Trash Palace and taken up residence.

For a few weeks now I have been unenthusiastic about nearly everything.  I sit about doing very little for long periods of time. I can’t be bothered doing anything.  How will I ever get the clean-up done?

I can only hope there will be a reversal of the trade winds situation and like a vacuum cleaner, all this doldrums malaise will be sucked out the window and taken off to its rightful place, far, far away from here.

The sooner the better.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Alphie, The opening line of the blog is what captivated me the most, as I could relate to it. I also spend time slacking around, start writing in a spur of the moment, and going lost in the next moment. I understand that Doldrum has disrupted your sailing, and like you, I wish it vanish, so that you keep moving ahead. I hope your continuity spree extends a bit longer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a very poetic description of exactly what is happening at my house and many more, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over from Kylie's blog.

    Is there not a consensus among climatologists that greenhouse gases are causing climate change?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments. I might just say here, to Snowbrush, the brief reference to climate change in this post was very much tongue in cheek and my thoughts on the day I wrote it.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete