Sunday 17 February 2019

On the topic of rubbish

Occasionally I read a blog post, think about the content and find my response would read like a post in the comment box.

And, so it was today in a UK post about plastic and rubbish generally and how it threatens wildlife.

In the UK, as well as many other countries, it’s mainly birdlife and sea creatures that are affected by plastic which is washed into the sea via storm water drains. All those plastic bags which blow around often finish up in storm water drains, rivers or the sea.

It’s not just the common or garden variety plastic bags; it’s fragments of plastic, bits of packaging, plastic bottles which have broken down. These are swallowed by seabirds and other sea creatures; this rubbish harms any creature unlucky enough to ingest it.

And what to do about it?

The answer is plain to me.

We are all responsible for this problem.  It’s up to you and me to do something about the situation. Be careful of how you dispose of plastic, whether it’s bags, bottles and packaging. It’s not a waste of time; don’t point over there and say look at those people, they’re not doing anything, so why should I be bothered?

I know. I keep saying the same old thing.

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. 



Keep our rivers clean


No comments:

Post a Comment